Arthritis is a common problem for older dogs, and it is one of the biggest reasons for joint pain in dogs. Unfortunately, our pups are unable to tell us when they are in pain, so it can be difficult to tell if your dog has arthritis and is in need of joint supplements for dogs. The following is a list of common signs that your dog may have arthritis, and hopefully, it will help to clear things up for you:
- Limping- Watch for any signs of limping, especially limping that occurs as your dog is getting up. As your dog moves around and warms up a little, the limping may subside, but any limping is an indicator that you need to talk to the vet.
- Accidents- Has your dog suddenly started to have accidents? Arthritis could make it difficult for him to get outside or get into the right position to relieve himself.
- Trouble getting comfortable- If your dog is restless or constantly moving around, it could be a sign that his arthritis is making it hard for him to get comfortable.
- Behavior changes- Is your dog no longer interested in playing outside or chewing on his favorite toy? Does he no longer greet you with exuberance at the door? Behavior changes like these could be indicative of pain.
- Biting or licking- Dogs may try to relieve their pain by licking or chewing the area that is causing them pain. Keep an eye out for unusual licking or biting.
If you have noticed any of the above signs in your dog, it may be time to talk to your vet about arthritis and joint pain treatments, like Natural Stride.